Dampers - Bread on a Stick!
Have a go at making dampers anytime you have a fire outside and need a simple snack, but not if you’re in a hurry... Kids love making these and so do I.
- 500g Self-Raising Flour – mix of wholemeal and plain
- Dash Olive Oil
- pinch salt
- water to mix
- Mix flour with oil and salt in a bowl and add water until you have a not too sticky dough, about 300 – 500ml will do it. It should come together in one smooth lump.
- Next everyone needs to find a stick. The ideal stick is long enough to hold over a fire without having to go too close, and thick enough to make a nice hollow inside, like the thickness of a sausage.
- Take a piece of dough and stretch it out to a long thin sausage shape, then wrap it firmly around your stick and mold it together.
- Hold it over the fire – ideally hot glowing embers, not flames that will blacken – and patiently cook your damper. It will be golden brown and hard when ready.
- Ease it off the stick (kids will need help or a tea towel - its hot!) and eat it warm and yummy with your favourite filling.
- We love putting veggie frankfurters inside or marmite, butter and cheese, or butter and jam.
- This is such an easy thing to bring camping, and the kids always love making them when they need a snack. Have fun!