Ota Ikha - Tongan Raw Fish Salad
A Tongan version of Ceviche, raw fish marinated in citrus juices and coconut milk.
- 400g Any Fresh White Fish with a firm texture
- Juice of 4 local Lemons or Limes
- 1 Cucumber
- 4 Tomatoes
- 5 Spring Onions
- 1 Green Pepper
- 2 mild Red Chilli Pepper
- Fresh Coriander
- 2 cups Coconut Milk - fresh or tinned
- Chop the fish into small cubes and cover in lemon or lime juice. Tongans have a citrus fruit that is half way between the two called a ‘kola’, I think using entirely lime juice would be too strong.
- Whilst the fish is marinating (until the surface of the flesh starts to become opaque) start chopping the veg.
- Dice or cube all the fresh veg and finely chop the spring onion and chilli.
- Combine the fish and all the veg and mix together with the coconut milk.
- Chill for 10 minutes (you and the salad..) then enjoy with fresh coriander sprinkled on top.
- This can only be made with fish extremely fresh – if just pulled out of the South Pacific even better! Tongans also make it with other raw seafood like crab, sea urchins, squid or prawns.
- If you can chill all your ingredients before mixing it will taste even better.